Friday, October 16, 2015

Courage

Courage, determination, assertiveness, feisty, brave. I can pinpoint the day I figured out I had it inside me. It was the end of the summer and I was about to start my second year of teaching in North Carolina. It was late, I couldn't sleep and I got to thinking about things I wanted to do, places I wanted to see and the excuses I had for why I couldn't do any of it. And right then I packed a bag and left my apartment and drove to DC. It's a place that makes me happy and I didn't need anyone's blessing or a reason for going. That was it for me. I started to view relationships and choices with a different light. I put myself first and stopped wasting my time with things and people who weren't moving me towards goals. 

It's that change in focus that led me to my husband, successfully navigating life as an army wife and weightlifting. In my mind there aren't many other sports where you are solely responsible for the outcome. As you stand on the platform only you can determine if the barbell will end up over your head. All the coaching, gear and Instagram likes won't make a difference if you don't have your head right and focused on yourself at that moment when you touch the barbell. 

It is not selfish to focus on you. When I've put myself, my marriage and my family first I've never regretted the outcome. 


My%20boss%20memed%20me
Photo credit to Old People Snatch and my boss for adding the quote. 

No comments:

Post a Comment