Monday, October 5, 2015

My Favorite Things September Edition

I haven't lived this far north in years and I forgot how wonderful fall is as a season.  Cool weather means we've opened the windows up and I have a reason to wear a scarf again. K in all five years on this planet has never lived anywhere where fall happens. She's excitedly pointed out the leaves changing on our way to the bus stop. Hope her enthusiasm stays as she's helping rake the yard.

Training I've Loved
  • Establishing a one rep max in 5-6 sets (think big lifts; squats, deadlift, bench press). I am guilty of slowly creeping up when maxing out my lifts and finding myself tired by the time I'm near my maxes. My training has called for me to establish a one rep max front squat in 5-6 sets and I find that by taking larger and less jumps I have more in the tank. I'm coming for you 250 front squat!
  • Russian twist on the GHD. A fun variation to a traditional ab exercise.  Engages the spinal erector muscles, turning ab work into back strengthening work as well. You can hold onto a plate, kettle bell or wall ball to scale this up.
  • Single arm dumbbell press. I re-injured my right shoulder and bicep this month and it was a good reminder to focus on single arm dumbbell work. Using dumbbells rather then a barbell allows you to focus on using your arms independently and works to correct any strength imbalances you may have.
Good Stuff to Eat and Drink
Workout Accessories
  • Ladies Lift Here 3/4 sleeve baseball shirt and off-the-shoulder sweatshirt. Well fitting and supports an awesome group of women promoting the sport of women's strongman competitions. It looks like they are no longer available but follow their facebook page where they announce limited quantities of apparel and merchandise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment