Monday, October 19, 2015

Meet Review-MuscleDriver USA Fall Open 2015

I competed this weekend at the Fall Open held at MuscleDriver USA in Fort Mill, South Carolina. The event is held at the training facility for Team MDUSA, home of the 2015 National Champion teams for both men and women as well as 4 individual 2015 National Champions. MuscleDriver is a supplier of weightlifting, power lifting and Crossfit equipment as well as the manufactor of Pendlay barbells.

Event Details
This is the second time I've attended a meet at MDUSA. Both times the meet ran on time with lifters weighing in and session's beginning as scheduled. The warm-up area is separated from the competition platform. Video and sound is available in the warm-up area but it is best to have a handler/coach to be on the lookout for you.

Eight warm-up platforms are set-up with ample plates. Pendlay bars are used both in the warm-up area and as the competition bar. Locker rooms are available. There is plenty of spectator seating and the MDUSA commentators and music between lifters keeps the atmosphere fun.

The participants range from novice to National Champions. Teenagers to Masters. MDUSA coaches and lifters serve as judges and coaches for many athletes. For some this was their first meet. Clad in t-shirt and brand new lifters they were hoping for their first meet total. Others saw it as last chance to qualify for the American Open.

The $50 entry fee got you a t-shirt, samples from Gnarly Nutrition, a MDUSA sticker and a full lunch from the food truck set-up in the parking lot. Water and fruit were available in the warm-up area. Event sale prices were available on MuscleDriver and Pendlay equipment. What it didn't give you was a free live feed of the event, which is my only complaint. Previous meets were shown live on the MDUSA youtube page. This was the first time the feed was shown behind the paid subcription service of FloElite. If friends and family wanted to watch the event it cost $20 for one month of access.

My Results
Made weight easily (57.2 or around 125 pounds). Opened with 61 kilo snatch. Made it but rushed it off the floor. Missed my second attempt at 64 out in front. Came back and made it for a one kilo meet personal record. Clean and jerks are my favorite part. I didn't have someone to count attempts and a coach in the back jumped in to help load the bar and count. Unfortunately this led to my last warm-up being 77 with my opening attempt at 88. I made it easy but not prettily. Also made my second attempt at 91. Went for 94 for my final and it was my usual. Lack of patience as I pulled the bar off the ground and missed the lift out front. Ended up 5th overall by Sinclair score. I'm happy with my final snatch attempt. It felt like a good lift using what I've been focusing on in training.

I enjoy competing at MDUSA. It's an opportunity to see national level lifters and coaches as they warm-up and lift. You are exposed to their coaching cues and can see lifters of a high caliber in action. Since most of my training is alone it's nice to spend the day with other lifters and talk shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment